November 4, 2021

Saying Goodbye to Mom

When I was a young child my biggest fear was that my mother would die. I had an overly active imagination and sometimes thoughts of the possibility that she would leave me forever would make me cry. I remember at least one occasion in which my mom came to my bedside to calm my fears and let me know how silly I was for entertaining such thoughts. In my defense, I didn't invite this particular fear to take up residence, it simply came unbidden. 

On October 20th, my mother did die. I was 52 and she was 83. Her dying had become less of a fear and more of a sad inevitability. She had lived with vascular dementia for four years, and had grown increasingly fragile over the past year. Early in October she had taken a fall and broken her hip. She underwent surgery, which was successful, but after a couple of weeks of being in hospital, a blood clot developed in her lung. A day later her caregiver sent word that Mom was dying. My husband and I rushed to be with my sister at Mom's bedside. My eldest sister came the next day. Mom was never left alone those last three days of her life. We sang to her, her grandsons called and sang to her over the phone, and in Mom's last moments, we sang the hymn of St. Francis, 'Make me a Channel of your Peace' with our brother leading over the phone from Calgary. I sang with tears streaming down my face and snot dripping from my nose as I held her face in my hands. And then she was gone. I cannot describe it aptly. She was just...gone. 

My mother was the sunshine in our family home. She radiated kindness and calm and burned brightly with intelligence. There was nothing saccharine about her. She loved a good story and a groan-worthy pun. She loved her six children to the best of her ability and as equally as she could, even though I tease my brother Steve that he was her favourite. She loved having company and made everyone feel welcome in our home. We often had extra people at the table for Christmas dinner. She loved Clint Eastwood. We even had a poster of The Outlaw Josey Wales hanging on the door of our bathroom. She stayed up very, very late reading. She read War and Peace every year (I haven't read it once). Mom loved to go out for cheesecake, but the rule was we had to hike up and down the steep hills of town for an hour and a half to earn a slice.

Mom was also the sunshine for a lot of people in the community we lived in. At the funeral reception many people said to me: "If it weren't for your mother I never would have..." My hometown newspaper printed a cover story about her contributions as an historian and supporter of artists. She would have been honoured. Her work was incredibly important to her. I felt so proud to be her daughter. 

This morning, a week after we returned home, I was hit with a wave of grief. I recalled how, during an hour on Mom's last day when we were alone together in her palliative care room, I had talked to her about the walks we used to take together. I thanked her for teaching me to love art and literature. I sang her 'You are My Sunshine'. 

Mom, you have left me, but that's okay. Your sunshine will always be with me. I know that now.

14 comments:

  1. Ah Rebecca - your love shines through your thoughts and words as does your mother's love for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I finally figured out what was happening. I was forgetting to moderate the comments. Thanks, friend.

      Delete
  2. So moved by your words, Rebecca. Your love for your mom shines through in your thoughts and your words, as does your mother's love for you. How blessed you were to have each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And you will think of her on all the sunny days for as long as you live.
    Hugs,

    Sylvie

    Sylvie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather Cameron LambNovember 4, 2021 at 6:22 PM

    I would love to hear a collection of memories from each of your siblings (book idea!) Your honest words paint a loving and kind portrait of your mom. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  5. When, as a young mother, I would enter your home, I was enfolded with a warmth that I can still feel to this day. The world slowed down for a time and I was enriched in small ways with a cup of tea and always conversation no matter what was going on. Time stood still. At the hub and centre of it all, your Mom shone. Gracious, kind, understanding, welcoming, inclusive and a light that I always looked forward to being around. Her presence calmed any storm I may have been feeling and I have tried to emulate that in my own home and life. I love her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It’s like an ‘exhale’ to discover there is always sunshine. I would tell my young story time kids at the library after we sang ‘You Are My Sunshine’ every Friday, even if you can’t see the sun shining, it’s always there … in your heart. Its a truth 💜💪

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read this Rebecca and still am in tears. I feel your pain and iam happy that you and your family have been blessed for so many, many years with a happy loving home. Your mom is now living in God's Kingdom with all her dearest people. We will all unite with her one day, and be surrounded by the love of God and all his Holy people. All my love to your whole family and please tell Marianne I said thank you for all her devotion to your mother and your family and especially to God, Jesus, Mary and Joseph.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!