April 20, 2012

Now they're Jamming in Heaven

Not only am I pressed for time this week, what with working at the annual Tulip Festival and rehearsing with the women's quartet for our upcoming performance at the local Earth Day mini film festival, I am typing with less fingers due to a sprain in the middle finger of my right hand which is now taped to the ring finger. Needless to say, this post will be brief.

I will take the opportunity to pay tribute to a musical gift to the world, Levon Helm, who died of cancer in New York City yesterday afternoon. I grew up with Levon and The Band as part of the general soundtrack of our family life. We listened to their records and sang their songs with harmony on the chorus at get-togethers in our home, and around the campfires of our youth, as so many people did. Levon's voice is forever recorded in my heart, and I can still hear his, as well as the voices of all the people I knew who sang the iconic song 'The Weight':

 Take a load off Annie.
 Take a load for free.
 Take a load off Annie,
 and put the load, put the load,
right on me.

The following video is a performance by The Band of 'The Weight' from the film/documentary The Last Waltz. Levon Helm was the drummer, one of the main vocalists, and the only American in the Canadian band who backed up Bob Dylan before becoming their own act.

May you live on forever in peace and continued harmony with all the greats who have gone before you, Mr. Helm.


(This is my 150th post.)

9 comments:

  1. I know the music. Or rather I'd heard the music. What's sorta kinda depressing is the youth visible on that film. You imagine it would never age.
    I've been reading a bit about that era. There were huge battles over that sort of trad-folk sound going electric. And I'd never realised that most if not all rock guitarists learned 'claw'. AKA, watching other players finger configurations in the fret.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking the same thing when I watched the videos - because I watched several the morning after he died. You do tend to think that energy and vitality will never die, don't you?
      As far as the battles, yes, there were! Martin Scorsese did a documentary about Bob Dylan's going electric, and the backlash from his folkie fans - it got quite ugly.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the video, Rebecca. Rest In Peace, Levon. Your title says it all.

    (And sorry about your sprained finger!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Abby. I'm typing a little better today :)

      Delete
  3. Great song Rebecca - love the video too. Hope your finger gets better soon - and Congratulations on your 150th post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it sure is a great song, and they could all sing really well in that band, which is amazing, really!
      I want also to thank you for all your thoughts on my suicide post. I will perhaps elaborate more on your blog so I'm sure you will read it :)

      Delete
  4. I remember the song, too. Can't say I'm familiar with Levon Helm, however, it's sad that cancer has taken another life. I'm sure he was loved and admired and that he will be missed.

    I hope your finger is better and that you're getting a rest before things get busy again. How was the Earth Day performance? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was indeed. My finger is getting better.
      The performance went well! Thanks!

      Delete
  5. A great tribute...even without the use of all of your fingers!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!