Obviously, I am not a film critic, I just know what I like. I liked Christopher Nolan's The Odyssey. I left the theatre smiling. For three hours I was entertained, transported, and impressed. I rooted for the lead characters and felt somewhat sad for the Cyclops. With messages of loyalty, courage, perserverance, and reckoning, The Odyssey is good old fashioned epic movie-making, without the intermission. (Why don't they have intermissions during long movies anymore? I had to pee so badly I was truly uncomfortable by the end because I didn't want to miss anything. An intermission would also potentially benefit the concession with people looking for some sugar to help them get through the remaining one and a half hours.)
I confess I have never read Homer's original poem. I was slightly familiar with the story and surrounding history mainly due to a Classical Studies course I took at university, and its characters and events popping up in other stories and analogies ever since I was a kid. I chose to see the movie partly to get out of the house and forget about the implications of the oppressive forest fire smoke that has lingered here all week. I also tend to enjoy classic retellings in general, and I was drawn to the film after reading and hearing so many glowing reviews.
Classic stories are truly a gift to humanity. They act as a touchstone for current ideas and events. We can be comforted by the hopeful truth they often present - that despite wars, famine, man-made division, natural disasters, evil machinations, and all manner of suffering, goodness survives in the world as long as a few good people do. I walked into the movie theatre feeling fairly depressed by the state of the world. I left with my heart a-glow from the gifts of good visual storytelling: diversion, delight, and renewed perspective. Nolan's version of The Odyssey calls into question some of our long-held beliefs about how the world historically operates. I don't want to provide any spoilers, so maybe see it for yourself and let me know what you think.
Did I find The Odyssey perfect in every way? Not entirely, but I will start with my personal highlights. I thought Anne Hathaway as Odysseus' long-waiting wife Penelope excellent. She is regal and serious and beautiful - the Princess of Genovia* truly grown up and come into her own. Tom Hardy as Odysseus and Penelope's son Telemachus pulled at my heartstrings; he is the son any motherly person wants to adopt - sweet, vulnerable, loyal, and aspiring to be a good man. I liked his handsome mentor, too, played by Ryan Hurst. Robert Pattinson, Mia Goth, and Samantha Morton play their baddie roles convincingly. The location choices, special effects, the atmosphere created by the music and lighting, the pace of the film, were all great to me. Matt Damon was solid as Odysseus, but he is, as my kids say, 'always Matt Damon'. Maybe he's so good we forget how good he really is? I don't know, but somehow we never seem to quite forget the actor behind the character. Jon Bernthal (who I was not familiar with) as Menelaus gave me 2Fast2Furious vibes which was a bit distracting. I found Charlize Theron an interesting choice for Calypso. She wouldn't have been my first choice. I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe I hoped for someone more ethereal and less California beach goddess - my son disagreed. Lastly, why does Himesh Patel slightly irritate me? I love him, but there's just something that brings out the Edna Mode in me when he's playing a stressed out character in a film. 'Get yourself together' and quit whining, Himish!
Overall, I heartily recommend seeing The Odyssey, especially as nature intended: on the big screen.
The Odyssey is rated R for violence and approximately three F-bombs, but I think it's appropriate for anyone who can handle the later Harry Potter movies or the Lord of the Rings trilogy. It's long and very intense, so take that into consideration when thinking about bringing young teenagers. The two teen girls sitting behind me with their grandparents seemed to really enjoy it. Maybe they, like my daughter, had read Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson and the Olympians series. Maybe I should read them, too.
'Til next time,
Rebecca
*Anne Hathaway's character in the massive teen hit movie The Princess Diaries
No comments:
Post a Comment
I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!