January 29, 2015

How Much do I Love Camping?


I have been thinking a great deal about going back this coming summer to a favourite spot of our family's. We used to go there every summer for a family camping trip, but with all our children working and growing up and dispersing, the last time we were able to go to the spot in question was late in the summer of 2010. Below is my post written shortly after our last trip there. I do hope, if we go this year that the sun will shine more warmly upon those of us able to make the trip and, most of all, that we will be allowed to have a campfire. It really does make all the difference in the cool evenings. Even without a fire, however, our spot is beautiful almost beyond belief. There is a sense of being on the edge of the world there without it taking more than a day's travel from our home. The ocean seems bigger there and the shoreline wilder than any spot near here. I love the ocean and have been missing it as of late. The waves are calling me in the dead of winter and I long to answer their call - when summer comes.


I believe I am now completely thawed after camping for five days on the southwest coast of Vancouver Island with a complete campfire ban in effect.  We are experienced coastal campers but nothing could have prepared me for camping in damp windy conditions without the benefit of a fire in the evenings.  I wore all the wool I brought and went for many walks on the beaches dressed like it was January.

My husband and children did not seem to feel the cold nearly as much as I did.  They dressed warmly, but were not desperate about it.  One day found me pacing around our campsite with a wool blanket tied around my waist like a sarong.  My husband took to calling me 'Nanuk', but by the end of the week, even he said next time we camp at French Beach we should come earlier in the summer, when the possibility of a campfire ban has not yet taken effect.   The forest floor of the campground was littered in gold and brown leaves from the overnight fall-like temperatures, but we were mercifully cozy in our tents and sleeping bags at night, and slept well, looking forward to hot chocolate and coffee made on the Coleman stove in the morning.  We had glorious days on the beaches, hunting for tidal life, scanning the horizon for dolphins (we saw a group of three) and whales (we were blessed with a visit by a grey whale feeding in the kelp beds just off shore at Botanical Beach near Port Renfrew), and warming up on the sunbaked stones littering French Beach and China Beach.  At one point I sat on French Beach, picking up warm stone after warm stone to hold in my frigid hands.




We played round after round of badminton and tossed the football, and no one complained about taking their turn to do the dishes after every meal in a pan of hot water.  We were gratefully distracted from the wind on our second afternoon with a visit from my brother, his family and a couple of nephews, and enjoyed showing them around China Beach - a long stretch of fine sandy beach accessible only by boat or by a short hike through a forest of huge arrow-straight Sitka Spruce trees once used for masts on tallships  - which they thought was truly beautiful.  We had brought a gas lamp with us and after we found it emitted a generous amount of heat we joked about it being our impromptu campfire, placed it on the fire grate and gathered around it every evening just to stay somewhat warm while we sat and talked about the day and shared stories and favourite scenes from well-loved comedy programs.

The last day we hiked into Mystic Beach and enjoyed the sheltered bay there.  We lingered in the warmth, exploring the caves created in the cliffs by the tide, and visited the waterfalls.  I was clicking away with my camera when a fellow hiker offered to take a family photo, and I think it will make a great Christmas card this year.  Soon after, our daughter Emma stood on a rock near the shore.  The tide was coming in then and my boys thoroughly enjoyed watching their sister get soaked by a large rogue wave that hit her at chest height.  Good thing I had packed an extra jacket.


New wooden steps down to Mystic Beach

The last evening after supper was cleared away we walked on French Beach and remarked on the darkness of the clouds heading toward us.  We decided to string up a tarp over the picnic table in case of rain, so at least we would have somewhere dry to cook and eat in the morning.  We were so glad we thought of it, because it rained fairly hard all night long.  After breakfast we packed up the wet tents cheerfully, anticipating the dry warmth we would return to here at home. 

Do I love camping?  Not necessarily in the aforesaid conditions.  But what I do appreciate about camping is the unobstructed family time, the simplicity of choosing meals suitable for cooking over a two burner camp stove,  the 24/7 outdoor living by the briny fresh sea, the inaccessibility of technological gadgets, my husband being well out of cell phone range so he can't be bothered with work, and the appreciation it gives me for the simple things of everyday life - like a hot bath and a solid roof overhead.

The painting above of the large piece of driftwood on French Beach is called 'West Coast Wanderer' by Victoria, B.C. artist Jeffrey J. Boron.  More of his work can be found here.  

10 comments:

  1. ha. we have had many a crazy adventure camping...i grew up camping wiht my family....and we were just talking the other day about going again...once it warms up just a bit....ah a campfire, preferable one in which we do not burn the tent...or the soles of our shoes....ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not grow up camping. However, I did get to go to camp a couple of years in a row and had the time of my life. My husband grew up camping for weeks every summer and we wanted to share the experience with our kids. Camping is still among their favourite memories growing up.
      Did you burn your tent once? Do tell! In Iambic Pentameter of course...ha

      Delete
  2. We camped every summer holiday when I was young. I don't think it was a preference though, more through financial necessity. As soon as we could afford it we began to rent large caravans in the same place we had camped. I have camped several times but never found affinity for it. Too many midges here in parts of Scotland in summer {They're tiny mosquitos who swarm and bite like hell}. I've always liked my creature comforts come bedtime, especially after being out all day long, fishing or hill walking etc as I often did when I was a bit younger { and thinner!} Loved the tale though and I do understand the pull of doing something you all loved collectively for as long as possible. I hope you enjoy it. Take care and cheers for the story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read about your midges! I have been driven away anc back to the car (and home) by clouds of mosquitoes so I feel your discomfort. The wonderful thing about the West Coast is there are virtually no annoying bugs. Yes, it is cool, but the bug-free thing is a very big draw for us!
      Thanks for the comment, and cheers to you as well :)

      Delete
  3. We've had some cold camping trips - I got a new warm sleeping bag out of one of them! I would've loved a wool blanket sarong.
    We're in the same boat as you with our kids, and our family camping days are few. I like your last paragraph, sums my thoughts up nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Abby. Warm, cozy sleeping bags and fresh air to breath is one of my favourite combos.

      Delete
  4. My husband and I used to camp in the Lake District, and once in Italy staying in a campsite in Fiesole. I'm surprised and a little disappointed that we never took our children camping. Mind you, we went to some pretty basic self catering cottages that weren't far off from the same experience! I love those beach names. Do you know why they have them? We have a tree washed up on a beach near where we stay at weekends, just like the one in that painting. It has fallen from a garden at the edge of the rapidly eroding cliff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read my children Ransome's Swallows and Amazons and I have such an imagined view of the lake district in my mind. My husband and I also enjoyed The Trip which was filmed there, mind you, during the cold months. I must confess we stayed in a cabin with our family last summer and it was terrifically comfy! At this time in my life I prefer that sort of 'camping' experience over tenting. I don't know why the various beaches are named as they are...it is worth looking into :)

      Delete
  5. I love your camping stories; and Abby's too. However, this one produces NO envy. lol
    It's still on my bucket list though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...that's very funny. You should still try and get to the west coast - Oregon is amazing too for all the same reasons, but it's probably best to stay in a cabin or hotel :)

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!